• 1pack of shortcrust pastry ready to roll
• 40g semi-skimmed milk powder, this was very important and to not use standard milk. I found this in the long life milk aisle.
• 500ml water
• 200g butter
• 100g plain flour
• 150g caster sugar
• 10ml vanilla extract
• Halloween sprinkles
• Green food colouring
- Line the dish/baking tray with the pastry and crimp edges. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and bake blind in the oven at gas mark 4/180°c degrees/350f until golden. Leave to cool.
- Reconstitute the milk powder with some of the water, I use about a third and heat it in a saucepan with the butter until almost boiling.
- Add the flour to the rest of the water and milk until thick and smooth.
- Add the sugar to the milk and butter and dissolve.
- Now add the flour mix slowly whilst whisking continuously until it thickens. It needs to be thick enough to be almost spreadable before setting.
- Flavour with the vanilla extract.
- Pour this mix into your mixing bowl and whisk on a high speed until cool. Add as much food colouring as you like until you’ve reached the ultimate slime colour. It took about 10-15 minutes to cool and thicken further as I used a glass bowl it took a while longer for the bowl to cool completely.
- Now pour it into your pastry dish, smooth out and add your sprinkles. Leave it to chill for about an hour and dive in.