- 2 oranges or clementines total weight about 200g
- 4 large eggs
- Zest 1 large lemon
- 160g golden caster sugar
- 100ml olive oil
- 175g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 180°c/fan 160°c/Gas Mark 4
- Place whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then cut in half and remove any pips.
- Place oranges (including skins) in a food processor and blend into a paste.
- Grease a 20cm / 8in spring form cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs, lemon zest and caster sugar together.
- Add the olive oil, beat until light and add the orange paste.
- Gently fold in the ground almonds and baking powder.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 50 minutes, the cake should be slightly shrunken from the sides and springy to the touch.
- Leave the cake in the tin.
- Next, to make the syrup warm the sugar and lemon juice in a pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Make lots of little holes in the cake using a skewer or uncooked piece of spaghetti and drizzle the syrup over the top.
- Now leave the cake to cool completely still in the tin.
- To serve, turn out cake onto a serving plate, dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream or ice cream
One of our all-time favourites here in the Buzz Office – DELICIOUS