- 100g smoked pancetta/bacon
- 100g Grana Padano, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 300g spaghetti
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, halved and left whole
- 50g unsalted butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put a large saucepan of salted water on to boil.
- Chop the bacon/pancetta in small pieces.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, season and set aside.
- When the water is boiling, add the spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes or until al dente.
- As the spaghetti is cooking, fry the bacon/pancetta with the garlic cloves. Add 50g unsalted butter into a large frying pan and add the bacon/pancetta and garlic once it’s melted.
- Allow this to cook for about 5 minutes, until the bacon/pancetta is golden and crispy. Now you can remove the garlic as all the flavour should have cooked through.
- Keeping the bacon/pancetta cooking on low, lift the cooked pasta out of the water and into the frying pan.
- Add most of the cheese to the whisked egg, reserve a handful for later.
- Turn off the heat on the frying pan and pour the egg mixture over the pasta. Mix everything together with two forks or a pair of tongs until everything is coated. Add some of the pasta water to loosen if needed.
- Serve immediately with a handful of cheese across the portions of pasta and season.