- 900g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves (squashed)
- 250ml water
- 400ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g salted butter
- 3 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 6 soft apricots, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken thighs, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns, garlic cloves, coconut milk, and 250ml water. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Strain the cooking liquid and keep for later. Shred the chicken meat.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and butter. Add the ginger and onion, and cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped chilli, mild curry powder, and flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the strained liquid, allow to boil, keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the mango chutney, chopped apricots, lemon zest, juice, and the shredded chicken, and stir until well combined. Transfer to a pie dish and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Cut a piece of puff pastry sheet about the size of the pie dish,
and reserve the rest for decoration. Brush the edge of the pie dish with water and lay the pastry over it, trimming any excess from
- Press the rim lightly with your thumb or a fork to seal and crimp the edges. Make a hole in the middle of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Decorate with the pastry cuttings, any way you wish!
- Brush the pastry all over with the beaten egg, and bake for 40 minutes, until golden.
Tiles in picture gifted from TMK Tiles